The gut – the most ignored and unappreciated organ of all. However, there is a close link between the gut and the lungs, between the gut and skin, the gut and brain and also 80% of our immunity comes from the gut.
On every level of our existence: physical, emotional and mental we depend on a state of our gut. The healthy gut means a strong immune system, good memory and concentration, stable emotional state, good ability to deal with stress.
The gut is a complex microbiome, where in special environment live trillions of different bacteria, more than a thousand of different species. Healthy and well balanced state of our microbiome provide a good base for our happy, healthy and long life.
What possibly can we do to keep our gut flora well balanced and healthy?
- Keep a regular intake of:
– food rich in fibre: variety of vegetables (cabbage and onion family, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.), all greens (spinach, kale); variety of fruits (apples, pears, etc.); beans, lentils, grains. Soluble fibre is food for friendly bacteria and insoluble fibre helps our gut to move.
-fermented food and drinks, such us kimchi, miso paste, yoghurt, kefir, sourdough bread.
– healthy-fat food, such as avocado, nuts and seeds, olives, olive oil, oily fish, dark chocolate, tofu.
- Drink only filtered water, not tap water.
-Eat “live” freshly cooked food and avoid processed “dead” food, such as pre-maid meals, including frozen pizzas and microwaveable dinners, deep fried and fast foods. This food contains artificial colouring and flavouring, preservatives. It gives us only empty calories and deprives our body of natural nutrients and vitamins.
- Minimise amount of refined sugar, that comes from ready made cakes, pastries, milk chocolate, sweets, breakfast cereals.
- Have adequate amount to sleep, 7-8 hours.
- Keep positive!